Monday, August 4, 2014

Question of the week: What are some of your favorite audiobooks for car trip listening?


http://catalog.sno-isle.org/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Advanced&term=longbourn&relation=ALL&by=KW&term2=baker&relation2=ALL&by2=KW&bool1=AND&bool4=AND&limit=TOM=*&sort=RELEVANCE&page=0&searchid=15


http://catalog.sno-isle.org/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Advanced&term=soulless&relation=ALL&by=KW&term2=carriger&relation2=ALL&by2=KW&bool1=AND&bool4=AND&limit=TOM=*&sort=RELEVANCE&page=0&searchid=16 Do you have a car trip vacation in your future? Do you have a long daily commute to work? Believe it or not, I actually look forward to my car time because sitting behind the wheel gives me permission to transport myself into another world - steampunk Victorian England, a Regency Period servant's quarters, pre-Civil War era Charleston, or just someone else's current reality.  A car trip suddenly becomes a treat rather than a trial (as long as I remember to keep my eyes on the road...).  Of course, a great narrator is a must for creating that experience and I have become quite a connoisseur of excellent readers.  Here are a few of my favorite recent car "reads." What are you listening to?


http://catalog.sno-isle.org/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Advanced&term=secret%20keeper&relation=ALL&by=KW&term2=morton,%20kate&relation2=ALL&by2=KW&bool1=AND&bool4=AND&limit=TOM=*&sort=RELEVANCE&page=0&searchid=13http://catalog.sno-isle.org/polaris/search/searchresults.aspx?ctx=1.1033.0.0.6&type=Keyword&term=mr%20penumbra&by=KW&sort=PD&limit=TOM=*&query=&page=0&searchid=11

3 comments:

Ruth G. said...

I LOVED Longbourn on CD! My tastes are eclectic. I've enjoyed The Other Wes Moore (read by the author), Blue Remembered Earth (wonderful scific on a grand scale), Amy Tan's memoir The Opposite of Fate (also read by the author), Ivan Doig's The Bartender's Tale, and A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Sometimes the author-narrated CDs work, and sometimes they don't: I loved Sarah Vowell reading her book, The Wordy Shipmates, but I just started listening to Bill Bryson read his book, One Summer: America 1927, and I really wish they'd hired a professional actor to read it.

bbuck said...

I love Precious Remotswe in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. Lisette LeCat is an excellent reader. I also have listened to all the Beekeeper's Apprentice series by Laurie King and the Anna Pigeon books by Nevada Barr.

Andie said...

Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch won the Pultizer Prize for fiction and fellow author Stephen King describes it as "a smartly written literary novel that connects with the heart as well as the mind."
While I love this Dickensian tale of orphan Theo Decker, it was the audiobook narrator, David Pittu, who really brings the story to life with his wonderful accents, cadences, and rhythms.