Friday, July 25, 2014

Do you like to watch movies or tv series that are based on books?

Absolutely! Sometimes I've read the book and would like to see how well they capture it on film. Other times, I'll decide that I simply must read the books after watching the movie or show. Here are a few of the many that exist:


Under the Dome - Stephen King
The small town of Chester's Mill, Maine, is faced with a big dilemma when it is mysteriously sealed off by an invisible and completely impenetrable force field. With cars and airplanes exploding on contact, the force field has completely isolated the townspeople from the outside world. Now, Iraq war vet Dale Barbara and a group of the town's more sensible citizens must overcome the tyrannical rule of Big Jim Rennie, a politician bent on controlling everything within the Dome.



 


Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeffry Lindsay
Hiding a secret life as an assassin while working as a murder analyst for the Miami police, Dexter Morgan is intrigued by the work of a new serial killer whose style mimics his own.  (Dexter series)




 


Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs
A killer in Montreal is murdering and dismembering women, and police are getting nowhere. Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, a middle-aged lady from North Carolina, goes after him herself. (Bones series)









Congo - Michael Crichton
Armed with the latest gifts of advanced technology, a California scientist, a ruthless corporation agent, and a mercenary hunter face the dangers of the Congo jungle in search of the diamonds of the lost city of Zinj.





 

Shrek! - William Steig
Shrek, a horrid little ogre, goes out into the world to find adventure and along the way encounters a witch, a knight in armor, a dragon, and, finally, a hideous princess, who's even uglier than he is!






 
True Grit - Charles Portis
Mattie Ross is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash money. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory. 

5 comments:

Bookish One said...

I do!

When a favorite book or book series is made into a film or television series, I am eager to see it. Sometimes I am bitterly disappointed in the result, but other times the transition goes smoothly and I enjoy it very much. I can think of two great examples of when books-to-film when well. The Inspector Morse mystery series by Colin Dexter were beautifully interpreted in the television series of the same name with John Thaw. More recently, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an outstanding production based on the mysteries featuring the daring Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood.

Sometimes this plays out in reverse: I discover that a film or television series was based on a book, then I go back and read the books to see how they compare.

Unfortunately, sometimes the transition goes badly. Case in point: Michael Crichton's Timeline. The book was riveting, the film was awful. If I'd seen the film first, I probably would never have read the book!

Terry said...

I've been disappointed so many times! The best screen adaptation was The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler.

Ruth G. said...

I've loved all the movie adaptations of E. M. Forster novels that I've seen (Passage to India, a Room with a View, etc.).

Ruth G. said...

The funny thing is that I devoured the Hunger Games series in book form, but after watching the first movie, I knew I didn't want to see the next two. I can handle gore on the printed page a lot better than gore on the big screen!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Hunger Games. I don't need to see the next two movies. I am excited for The Giver, but nervous that the movie might be harder to stomach than the book was.