Thursday, January 2, 2014

Question of the Week: What is your favorite science fiction novel?

One of my all time favorite science fiction novels is The left hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin.

 
A groundbreaking work of science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness tells the story of a lone human emissary to Winter, an alien world whose inhabitants can change their gender. His goal is to facilitate Winter's inclusion in a growing intergalactic civilization. But to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own views and those of the completely dissimilar culture that he encounters.
 
Le Guin was in the forefront as science fiction really began to discuss women's issues.


 
I recently read Among others by Jo Walton.  Walton crosses genre boundaries in this book, so it is really not science fiction, but Morwenna finds her salvation in reading science fiction.  She is very excited when she joins a science fiction only book club.  I really enjoyed remembering the many titles I had read that are mentioned in Among others.
 
Are you interested in reading more science fiction.  Look at our new science fiction lists under Recommended Reading listed under Books on our homepage. 

1 comment:

Terry said...

For a long time I didn't think that I was reading science fiction! But now that I have a better understanding of it, I would have to say Jack Finney's Time and Again.