Friday, October 25, 2013

Question of the Week: What book has stayed on your mind long past the time you finished reading it?


I've read a few novels over the years that's done this, but most recently it was State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. Not only was the tone more melancholy than I'm used to reading, it provided a lot of food for thought. For instance, I've never really thought about whether women should be able to have children past normal childbearing age. Would my body be able to handle the physical demands of pregnancy and birth at age seventy? Would I be able keep up with a child, to handle the sleepless nights the first few months? Those questions then led to introspection about the ethics of pharmaceutical companies, the Amazon jungle, and the way that contact with the outside world affects indigenous tribes. And I'm still thinking about these questions, weeks later. 


Now, I'd really like to know - what book has stayed on your mind long past the time you finished reading it?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

11/22/63 by Stephen King. I actually miss the characters. I may have to read it again in the future.

Anonymous said...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Anonymous said...

A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin, though I also agree with the 11/22/63 comment. Both powerful and epic reads.