Monday, September 30, 2013

Passionately Pink

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease.  Susan G. Komen's foundation invites everyone to go "passionately pink for the cure."  Now that I've got you thinking about healthy breasts, let's move on to something a bit more fun:  books that have something to do with my favorite color (which is pink, of course).

Simply Spectacular Cakes:  Beautiful Designs for Irresistible Cakes and Cookies by Peggy Porschen
The cover art alone was enough to entice me into reading this.  Don't be daunted by Peggy's fancy work:  you really can make these yourself, even if you're a novice baker.  Now that's sweet!

The Sugar Cube:  50 Deliciously Twisted Treats from the Sweetest Little Food Cart on the Planet by Kir Jensen.
I chose this one just because of its pink cover.  I enjoy reading cookbooks, although I seldom actually cook anything.  Jensen's unusual flavor combinations seriously tempted me, though.

I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson
In 1972, Petra and her friend are among David Cassidy's biggest fans.  Petra enters a contest where the winner will get to actually meet the heartthrob face-to-face.  Fast forward three decades, and Petra is facing middle-age with an angsty teenage daughter.  As she's cleaning out a closet, she discovers the letter (hidden from her by her mother) informing her she won the contest.  And now, nothing will stop her from obtaining her prize.




No comments: