Friday, August 23, 2013

Question of the Week

Which classic is your favorite?

As procrastinating students visit the library in search of the books they're supposed to read before school starts, focus inevitably turns to the classics.  Like many people, I chide myself for not reading very many and occasionally tackle one between my other reads.  It's a bit difficult to pick a favorite since I'm not allowing myself to say Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Instead, I have to go with a bit of a sleeper - It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis.  Despite being published in 1935, it reads as if Lewis is writing America of the last fifteen years.  The sense of yes, it really can happen here and sort of is happening really stuck with me both times I read it.


"It Can't Happen Here is a cautionary tale about the fragility of democracy, an alarming, eerily timeless look at how fascism could take hold in America. Written during the Great Depression when America was largely oblivious to Hitler's aggression, it juxtaposes sharp political satire with the chillingly realistic rise of a President who becomes a dictator to save the nation from welfare cheats, rampant promiscuity, crime, and a liberal press. Now finally back in print, It Can't Happen Here remains uniquely important, a shockingly prescient novel that's as fresh and contemporary as today's news."



So - what's your favorite?

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I have a variety of favorites in this category, but particularly love All Quiet on the Western Front.