Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Question of the Week



What is the last book that made you cry?

I mean really, all out sobbing!

Code name VerityI just finished bawling over Code Name Verity. It was an amazingly beautiful, haunting and sad book. I cried through the last third of the book! (Please, do not judge this book by its cover, or the fact that it is labeled a teen book.)

Winter's taleI still remember crying through the last part of Winter's Tale when I lived in New York more than 25 years ago.  I also remember a friend calling and not being able to talk to her because I was could not stop sobbing.

So, what was the last book that made you all out cry?



 




4 comments:

Bookish One said...

I cried like a baby while reading several deeply moving parts of The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani.

David said...

The latest was "Benediction" by Kent Haruf, but the All Time Winner is "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. The last scene (spoiler alert!) when the old man sees the young girl in the park and thinks maybe she's not an angel and maybe he's not dead...I've read the end 5 times and I'm still starting to blubber just typing this!

Terry said...

I've cried through so many, it's hard to choose. But the one that I remember the best was a time when I was flying back from Denver and reading The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I got to the very last few pages and it hit me--and I burst out in tears. The very kind man next to me seemed taken a back, but simply asked, "good book?"

Ruth G. said...

Please Look After Mom, by Kyung Sook SHin. This one took me completely by surprise. I was reading along unemotionally until the last chapter, and then burst out sobbing all the way through the ending! I was a mess--good thing I didn't have to go to work afterwards!